What is The Career Pathways Workgroup?
The Career Pathways Workgroup is comprised of leaders from eight state agencies working together to ensure that clear, career roadmaps exist for Virginians.
Each step on a career pathway is designed to prepare someone for his or her next level of education and employment. Career pathways are geared for both young students and adults at all stages of their careers.
Who is The Career Pathways Workgroup?
The Career Pathways Workgroup is chaired by the Advisor for Workforce Development in the office of the Secretary of Commerce and Trade. Other members come from the:
- State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
- Virginia Community College System
- Virginia Department of Education
- Virginia Department of Labor and Industry
- Virginia Department of Social Services
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership
- Virginia Employment Commission
- Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services
What have we accomplished so far? A peak…
- Co-development of Virginia’s first workforce report card, which will be an annual measurement comparing how the state is performing year to year
- The development of A Strategic Plan for Virginia’s Career Pathway System and Booklet: Taking Root: The Virginia Career Pathways System.
- Ford Foundation funding to support three regional career pathways grants in advanced manufacturing, energy and allied health
- PluggedInVA, a career pathway that provides graduates with things like their GED, Career Readiness Certificates and professional soft skills to help them better operate in the business world
- Governor’s STEM Academies, which provide access to science, technology, engineering and mathematics to the general student population. These programs must include opportunities for things like internships, job shadowing and mentorships to foster career focus.
Have an idea to share?
Virginia’s career pathways are built on collaboration and cooperation among our schools, state agencies and private partnerships. We’re here to connect the dots. If you have thoughts to share with the Workgroup to improve the efficiency of existing resources or ideas to help Virginians endeavor in a career path, please contact:
Advisor for Workforce Development
Secretary of Commerce and Trade
Office of Governor Terence R. McAuliffe
Patrick Henry Building, 1111 E. Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219
804 692 2563 (office) 757 879 0976 (cell)
Elizabeth J. Moran
Apprenticeship Related Instruction & Workforce Credentials Coordinator
Virginia Community College System
Workforce Development Services
Arboretum III – 300 Arboretum Place
Richmond, VA 23236